Environmental Educators of North Carolina (EENC): I have served as the education co-chair on the board of directors since 2012, through which I work to support K-12 and pre-service teachers in providing environmental education to their students. I also head up the research symposium at the annual conference.
North American Association of Environmental Education (NAAEE): I have been an active member in this organization since 2011.
Environmentors: Environmentors pairs high school students with university students and faculty to complete year-long research projects, culminating in a poster competition. I have participated as a mentor since 2012.
I never consider projects complete until the results are in the hands of educators who will use the research to impact kids. I am able to connect with formal (classroom) and non-formal (EE centers, museums, etc.) educators through a number of organizations who are very supportive of our work:
- NC Office of Environmental Education and Public Affairs: The Office headed up the North Carolina Environmental Literacy Plan, which our research helped support. I have worked with the office to give several talks to environmental educators as well as produce an Environmental Literacy Fact Sheet to highlight strategies to build environmental literacy in K-12 settings.
- NC Environmental Education Certification Program: Run by the NC Office of EE, I am in the process of becoming a certified environmental educator. Engagement with this program has allowed countless opportunities to network, learn from educators, and communicate how our research might shape EE in North Carolina.
- NC Sea Grant: Sea Grant has been incredibly supportive our work through funding three major projects. They have also helped me to publish an article in CoastWatch and invited me to share my research at several public events.
- South Atlantic Landscape Conservation Cooperative: The South Atlantic LLC hosts monthly brown-bag talks and invited me to participate in May 2014.
- Environmental Educators of North Carolina: As a board member, I am highly engaged with this active environmental education professional organization. Through presenting at the annual conference and reaching hundreds of K-12 educators in my board work, my involvement with EENC has allowed me to share my research with many educators in North Carolina and beyond.
- NC Department of Public Instruction: NC public schools have been supportive of our research and invited me to speak at the annual non-formal educators meeting to encourage collaboration between formal and non-formal educators.